This recipe has become one of daughter's favorite dishes. I use chicken thighs which are more forgiving when cooked and have added zuchinni, yellow squash, mushrooms and corn to makes this a hearty dish in a pan. You can serve this with pasta, but it is not necessary since the vegetables are dense and hearty as well as the addition of the corn which provides the carb.
Tips for making chicken, vegetables with white wine caper sauce.
For a healthy meal, estimate about one chicken thigh per person (depending on the size of the thigh) and about 200g of a combination of zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.
Use a skillet large enough to allow the chicken AND vegetables to cook easily together without being overcrowded. If the skillet is too small and the ingredients are overcrowded, the ingredients will cook unevenly resulting in either tough chicken or raw vegetables.
For this chicken, vegetables with white wine caper sauce, boneless, skinless chicken thighs are used, because chicken thighs are more forgiving when cooked in a sauce. Removing the bone helps speed up the cooking process and allows it to cook more uniformally. Check out this blog for tips on deboning chicken breasts. Use the same technique for deboning chicken thighs.
The chicken thighs are marinated with salt, pepper, capers, caper juice and fresh lime juice. This marinade also becomes the sauce for the dish so don't throw it away after marinating!
Flour coating the chicken
All-purpose flour is used. Dredge (coat) the chickens with flour by removing the chicken thighs from the marinade without the capers and dipping them into the flour. However, if you're looking for a gluten-free version of this dish, substitute the all purpose flour with potato, corn or tapioca starch. Reduce the amount of starch used. Reduce the amount of starch used by about 20% of the amount of all purpose flour used.
For this chicken, vegetables with white wine caper sauce, zuchinni, yellow squash, mushrooms, frozen corn and capers are used. For the garnishing, I like adding some multi- colored mini pepper slices and flat leaf parsley for color. The peppers not only add color to the dish, but also add crunch!
Use any inexpensive, good tasting white table wine. Cooking wine is not ideal for this dish due to its flavor profile.
Plating this chicken, vegetables with white wine caper sauce
Place the vegetables on the bottom of the plate, followed by the chicken thigh. Pour some of the gravy over the chicken. Garnish with sliced mini pepper rings and chopped parsley. Enjoy and if you've made it, let me know what you think in the comment section.
CHICKEN, VEGETABLES WITH WHITE WINE CAPER SAUCE
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 113 g mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp marinated capers
- 1 Tbsp caper juice
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ⅛ cup all purpose flour for dredging chicken. Not all of it will be used. Gluten free option: corn, tapioca or potato starch. Use less quantity than all purpose flour.
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 small yellow squash
- ½ cup frozen corn for added carb
- mini colored peppers for garnish
- parsley for garnish
- In a bowl, place boneless, skinless thighs, salt, pepper, capers and fresh lemon or lime juice. Allow to marinate for an hour, preferably overnight.2-3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 1 Tbsp marinated capers, 1 Tbsp caper juice, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp pepper
- Finely chop garlic.2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- Wash and slice mushrooms ½" thick.113 g mushrooms
- Wash and slice squash diagonally, 1/2" thick.2 small zucchini, 2 small yellow squash
- Slice colored peppers into rings.mini colored peppers
Braise chicken & vegetables
- Preheat LARGE chicken-fryer or saucepan to hold all the ingredients. A smaller skillet will require you to saute the chicken and vegetables individually.
- Add olive oil and butter into the skillet.2-3 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp butter
- Saute chopped garlic.2 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- Place flour in a shallow dish.⅛ cup all purpose flour
- Dredge each chicken piece into the flour and place into skillet. DO NOT DISCARD MARINADE.2-3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Saute for 3-4 minutes until browned and turn over.
- Add mushrooms to skillet.
- Add squash to skillet.
- Add capers and caper juice marinade
- Add white wine. Stir½ cup white wine
- Cover and simmer for 4 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add the frozen corn for the last minute. DO NOT OVERCOOK.½ cup frozen corn
- Taste sauce. Add additional salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Sauce should thicken with chicken pieces added.
- Place vegetables on plate with chicken. Add sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and colored pepper slices.parsley