Buffalo wings are one of my all-time FAVORITE party appetizers. When I was living in New York, I hosted a Superbowl party for a dozen friends. I selected a handful of recipes, including this bubbling buffalo chicken dip, that incorporated the flavors from the Superbowl parties of my childhood. I do not care much for actually watching football, but I grew up in a household with my parents cheering and hollering at the television on Sundays and Monday evenings. Later during my college years I relished the Harvard-Yale tailgates, so I equate games with social festivities.
Inspiration for bubbling buffalo chicken dip.
For Superbowl, my mom would typically cook up a calorie-splurge spread of Cal-Mex food… chips with salsa and guacamole, quesadillas, taco salad, and chicken wings. So when I hosted my own party last year in a shoebox Manhattan apartment, I thought of ways I could recreate those flavors in low-maintenance, easy-cleanup forms. I served my specialty roasted garlic guacamole with tortilla chips and prepared a make-your-own taco bar. But the true winner of the evening was not the Kansas City Chiefs, it was my buffalo wing alternative: a bubbling buffalo chicken dip that comes out of the oven bubbling with melted cheese. It is SINFULLY delicious.
This dip has all of the bold flavor of tangy buffalo wings, yet it doesn’t require frying and is extremely easy to throw together. I offered a variety of dipping vehicles to satisfy a diversity of palates among my guests; options ranged from generous chunks of crusty French bread to an eye-pleasing array of crudites (celery, carrot batons, red bell pepper strips). It is a scrumptious AND versatile dip. So on a game day or simply whenever you have a hankering for the spicy tang of buffalo sauce, whip up this recipe and I bet you will find yourself sitting by a half empty skillet with a spoon in hand!
After making this buffalo chicken dip several times since I had my first sinful scoop a year ago, I discovered some helpful tips.
Tips for making bubbling buffalo chicken dip.
A cast iron skillet is convenient because it leaves you with only one dish to clean, but you can also prepare the ingredients in a regular pan on the stove, then transfer the dip mixture into a 1-quart baking dish.
Soften the cream cheese in advance by allowing the block to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cook time. This will quicken the process of melting down the cream cheese when you add it to the dip mixture.
I recommend using precooked rotisserie chicken, which can be shredded with two forks.
Feel free to adjust the level of buffalo flavor and overall heat by either halving or adding more Frank’s sauce.
I view this dip as an indulgent treat, but if you want to appease your health conscience, the sour cream can be substituted partially or entirely with Greek yogurt. Higher fat content of the yogurt will result in a thicker consistency of the dip.
Serving suggestion for bubbling buffalo chicken dip.
The dip goes well with tortilla chips, crackers, chunks of crusty bread or crudites, cut up vegetables like carrots, celery and bell peppers for a healthier option. Serve the dip along with salsa and guacamole. It is rich, decadent and delicious!
BUBBLING BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- cast iron skillet
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce
- 250 grams BLOCK cream cheese, softened not whipped
- ¾ cup full fat sour cream or full fat GREEK yogurt
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese OPTIONAL
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 2 tsp sliced green onions or chives for garnish
- celery sticks
- carrot sticks
- tortilla chips
- crusty bread pieces
- potato chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange oven rack to the middle of your oven.
- In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet (or an ovenproof pan), melt the butter over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic until fragrant (30 seconds).
- Add the chicken and hot sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and is reduced by half (about 2 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low heat and stir in cream cheese. Mix until combined.
- Take off heat, stir in yoghurt / sour cream, blue cheese, 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese and frozen corn.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese on the top.
- Bake until bubbling around the edges and the cheese has melted (about 10 minutes).
- Broil (or grill) for a further minute to brown the top.
- Garnish with green onions. Serve with vegetable sticks, chips, crusty bread pieces for dipping.