These easy spaghetti squash marinara bowls are so fun to eat and all the cooking is done in the microwave. The key is to have your spaghetti squash "behave" like spaghetti and not a soggy mess! For this meal, I pour out some readymade marinara sauce, add some fresh oregano and freshly grated parmesan cheese and dinner is ready in less than 15 minutes.
Tips for making easy spaghetti squash marinara bowls
It is important that the spaghetti squash be al dente (firm) to ensure the long, individual strands, and if you'd like to use the spaghetti squash as a bowl, the key is DO NOT overcook the squash as the outer layer will soften and collapse and the strands will be mushy. Season the spaghetti squash before microwaving to ensure that the spaghetti strands are flavorful. Check out Cooking perfect spaghetti squash or see the video.
Use any of your favorite premade marinara sauces for these easy spaghetti squash marinara bowls. Heat the sauce in the microwave (or not) and pour directly into the spaghetti squash cavity. Sprinkle with fresh oregano, black pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese on these easy spaghetti squash marinara bowls and enjoy!
How to cook spaghetti squash perfectly!
- Foil if baking spaghetti squash
- Microwave-safe plate if microwaving spaghetti squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp mushroom bouillon or salt
- Wash spaghetti squash.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the spaghetti squash
- Microwave the spaghetti squash for 3 minutes to slightly soften the skin.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, latitudinally, along the equator. NOT lengthwise.
- Add 1 Tbsp of butter and 1 tsp of mushroom bouillon to each half.
Microwaving spaghetti squash
- Cover the prepared spaghetti squash with a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave the perpared spaghetti squash for 7-14 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave.
- Remove spaghetti squash and gently scrape strands using a fork.