This shrimp with sizzling rice recipe is another family favorite! We used to order a sizzling seafood dish at Chinese restaurants when the girls were young. They used to love it when the rice was on a hot cast iron plate and as the waiter poured the seafood mixture over the rice, table side, it would sizzle! A few years ago, these pre-made rice cakes were sold in the grocery store. I decided to make my own version of the seafood dish which is easy and delicious! This shrimp with sizzling rice is a great dish to make for a festive occasion like Chinese New Year, a celebration or when you have company over, because it takes less than 5 minutes to stir fry and it's pretty impressive with the sizzling!
These rice cakes are the ready-to-eat Chinese rice cakes. Do not get the rice cakes made with rice flour. Those rice cakes require cooking and are used for dishes such as Shanghai style rice cakes which will not work for this application. I recently found a healthier multi-grain rice cake at my local asian grocery store (Ranch 99) which I tried. The rice cakes were darker but tasted just the same as the white rice cakes. A definite healtheir alternative!
Heat these rice cakes in an oven or toaster oven so that they will sizzle when the sauce is poured over them. See video.
I like using the larger size / colossal shrimp, about 15 count per lb. The shrimp needs to be peeled and deveined. Do not overcook the shrimp when stir frying this dish. Otherwise, the shrimp will end up tough and rubbery. You want your shrimp to be just cooked and "al dente".
This recipe call for frozen peas. I recommend using petite pois. They are younger peas that are more tender and don't have a mealy mouthfeel.
The sauce is made with a combination of ketchup and tomato paste. (My cheater secret.) It is simple to make but flavorful.
Place your hot rice cakes on a platter and the shrimp in another bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the rice.
Let me know what you think in the comment section!
SHRIMP WITH SIZZLING RICE
- 1 pack rice cakes for sizzling rice
- 350 grams large peeled and deveined shrimp
- ½ tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp fresh chopped garlic
- Sprinkle salt and fresh chopped garlic onto cleaned, peeled and deveined shrimp. Let marinade for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325° fahrenheit (163° celcius)
- Place rice cakes on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Switch off oven and let sit in oven until shrimp is cooked. Cooking the shrimp should take about 5 minutes.
- Mix together ketchup, tomato paste, cornstarch and water.
- Heat wok until smoking, add oil.
- Add garlic, shrimp and scallion aromatics.
- Add shrimp immediately.
- Add Shaoxing wine and stir fry until the shrimp changes color.
- Stir your tomato sauce before adding to the shrimp
- Add frozen peas.
- Place shrimp and sauce into a bowl. There should be enough sauce to spread over the hot, crisp rice.
- Place hot rice cakes on a serving platter.
- Pour shrimp with sauce over the sizzling rice cakes