Potato chive pancakes, when shredded in a food processor, is one of the easiest and quickest dishes to make. This particular recipe uses eggs and flour. There is another sourdough potato pancake recipe that's made with sourdough discards. I like adding onion and chives for additional flavor. It is best accompanied with sour cream, apple sauce and sometimes even with ketchup and hot sauce!
Tips for making potato chive pancakes
Cook at entire batch at once because the peeled potatoes oxidize (turn brown) easily; therefore, leaving shredded potatoes in the refrigerator will result in a bowlful of greyish brown shredded potatoes. For these potato chive pancakes, the food processor is used just to shred the potatoes.
Hand cut the onion and chives to keep the onions uniform and firm. Food processing the onion results in a bitter onion taste so the old-fashioned way of cutting is the best. Chop the chives into small pieces. If you have an herb cutter, that really speeds up the process.
When placing the potato pancakes in the frying pan with oil, flatten the shredded potatoes so that they resemble pancakes. The oil will brown and crisp up the potatoes.
Potato pancakes are best eaten hot when the outsides are still crisp.
Gluten free option for potato chive pancakes
If you prefer making these potato pancakes gluten free, substitute the all purpose flour with chickpea, (garbanzo bean, gram or besan) flour. It increases both the protein and the fiber content of the pancake. However, that being said, the amount of chickpea flour is very small and it's used more as a binder.
POTATO CHIVE PANCAKES
- 500 g Peeled potatoes About 3 medium potatoes
- 125 g diced onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour Chick pea flour can be substituted for a gluten-free option
- cooking oil
- sour cream
- apple sauce
- Chop onions into dice sizes.125 g diced onion
- Chop chives into .2 cm (1/4 " ) small pieces.2 Tbsp chopped chives
- Shred peeled potatoes in a food processor.500 g Peeled potatoes
- Place shredded potatoes into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with flour and mix.2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, whisk egg. Add salt and pepper.½ tsp salt, 2 eggs, ⅛ tsp white pepper
- Combine egg with potato.
- Preheat skillet with oil that covers the surface of the pan.
- Add large spoonfuls of the potato mixture, making sure to include some egg mixture into the pan.
- Level the surface of the pancakes by pressing it gently with the back of a spatula.
- Allow to fry until golden brown.
- Flip pancakes and fry the other side.sour cream, apple sauce, ketchup
- Serve immediately with sour cream, apple sauce, ketchup as accompaniments.